Monday, July 1, 2013

One week later.

June 6th: 411 lbs. (doctor scale)
June 17th: 406 lbs. (doctor scale)
Day of Surgery, June 25th: 396 lbs. (doctor scale)
Today, July 1st: 383lbs. (home scale)

It's almost been one week since my surgery.

I was surprisingly nervous going in that morning.  I have had surgery twice before this one; one in April of 2010 and then again in April of 2013.  I was SUPER relaxed before both of those.  Not worried at all.  And before this surgery I felt really good and excited about it until I was sitting there in the prep area just waiting.  I was SO THIRSTY!!  I was actually dehydrated because it took two nurses and finally the anesthesiologist to get my IV in because my veins were so collapsed (and I have the bruises on both hands to prove what a hard time they were having!)  I didn't have hardly anything to drink the previous day (my own fault) and then I couldn't eat or drink anything from midnight before the surgery so I was absolutely dying of thirst, and all I could think about was how I wasn't going to be able to drink or eat anything after the surgery and I was going to be thirsty for the rest of my life!  (I tend to be a bit overdramatic sometimes)  Daron was with me and I just started crying like an idiot.  I was worried I was doing the wrong thing and that I was going to die in surgery.  Or what if I am ALWAYS THIRSTY like this...or what if...or what if....I was a little crazy.  I think it was cause I was hurting from the constant needle jabs and I was nervous and did I mention I was THIRSTY!

I calmed down and was fine when they finally wheeled me away at about 9:15.  I just kept telling myself " I am going to go to Disneyland next year and ride a roller coaster that goes upside down".  I told the doctor that and he said it was an excellent goal and they are just as fun as they look.

The surgery went well, or at least I've been told.  I have a HORRIBLE time waking up from anesthesia.  Both times I've had to come out of it before I remember hearing all the nurses and people around me saying "She's STILL here?" and event his last time I remember seeing multiple people come into recover after me and leave before me.  I guess I'm just a really good sleeper!  I do remember the nurse saying my blood pressure was a little high, so it took a little bit to get that down.  But eventually I was awake enough that I had to get up and walk to my room.  I wasn't in very much pain, thanks to the wonderful medicine they pumped into my IV!

The doctor said I would probably be staying overnight; but sometimes people feel good enough to go home.  The nurses kept asking if I was planning on staying or going home, and I had just assumed I was staying.  But Daron couldn't stay with me (he doesn't do well away from his Darth Vadar breathing machine and his own bed) and I HATE being alone, let alone all night in a hospital, so I started to entertain the idea of going home that nigh. I was doing pretty good pain wise, the worst part was the gassy pain from being pumped full of air for surgery!  It did feel better to walk around, so I did that quite a bit.  My only probably was I kept throwing up...and that hurt like none other!!!  My poor newly sewn on stomach and sore abdomen was not happy when that happened...and it happened 3 times! It got to be about 9:00 and the surgery center is a good hour away from our house, and poor Daron was so tired (and poor dog Franklin had been alone all day) so I decided to buck it up and check out.  We left about 9:45

I pretty much kept up on the Vicoden the next day, but from Thursday on I haven't had any.  I haven't been in really much pain either, other than a little un-comfortableness from drinking too fast or maybe taking one too many bites of pudding/cottage cheese.  I did have some crazy heart burn the first few days, but that has passed.  I am on a liquid diet until my next appointment with Dr. Simpson on July 25th.  I can have almost any liquid (nothing with sugar or carbonation), pudding, broths, strained creamy soups, cottage cheese, Jello, fruitless yogurts, frozen yogurt...  Then hopefully after that next appointment I will be able to do soft vegetables, fish...and other things I can't think of.  I'm planning on joining Darons gym in the next couple weeks in order to avoid too much extra flabby nasty skin.  We'll see.


1 comment: